Monday, June 10, 2013

Overcoming... Simple, but not Easy

1 John 5:4 - 5. "For whatever is born of God overcomes the world; and this is the victory that has overcome the world--our faith.  Who is the one who overcomes the world, but he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?"

"Easy to assemble". "No tools required". "Assemble in minutes!"  I tremble with frustration whenever I read those words.  I remember the hours it took to assemble a Christmas toy for my children.  The step-by-step instructions were simple, but following them wasn't easy!

I sometimes find myself feeling that way regarding my walk with Jesus.  The message is simple.  All I need to do is believe Who He is and What He has done on my behalf.  That makes me an "Overcomer".  It opens the door to all of those glorious promises John referred to in the Book of Revelation.  It assures my place in Heaven with my Savior (1 John 5:13).  Simple.

Believe in Jesus and receive eternal life.  How hard can that be?!!  It's all wrapped up in the word "believe". That simple concept involves every aspect of my life.  It's not merely intellectually assenting to the truth of a statement.  The word implies complete, total trust in the Person of Jesus.  It means turning over the control of my life - my hopes, ambitions, desires, decisions, lifestyle... everything - to Him.  That's not so easy!

There is a constant power struggle raging in my soul.  Although I long ago relinquished control of my life to the Holy Spirit, my self-will still tries to wrest it from Him.  It is usually not a conscious decision on my part.
I simply move forward with my daily plans, forgetting to "check in" with Him.  Sometimes He tries to get my attention and I ignore Him.

So, how can I be an Overcomer today?  How can I consistently live out my faith over the next 18 hours?  It's simple.  Really!  I just do what I'm doing right now.  Start the day with Him.  Read, think about, meditate on the Word of God. Open my calendar and consciously turn it over to Him, asking the Holy Spirit to make me sensitive to unwritten appointments He may have scheduled.  Beginning my day on my knees helps me to walk the path Jesus has already marked for me.  Simple, but not so easy.

Thank You, Jesus, not only for what You have done for me, but for what You promise to do today.  Thank You, Holy Spirit for Your promptings, Your guidance.  Please help me to listen well and check in with You often.  I can't wait to get started!  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment