Monday, January 14, 2013

Superhuman strength... Are you strong to the finish?

Ephesians 3:16-17  "...that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with power through His Spirit in the inner man, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; and that you, being rooted and grounded in love..."

As a little boy, one of my favorite cartoons was Popeye.  Each episode would find him in an apparently helpless situation as he tried to save his girlfriend, Olive Oyl, from the bully, Bluto.  Just when all seemed lost, he would open a can of spinach, devour its contents, and immediately find himself empowered with superhuman strength.  After saving Olive and disposing of his nemesis, he would burst into his victory song, "I'm Popeye the sailor man, I'm Popeye the sailor man!  I'm strong to the finish 'cause I eat my spinach.  I'm Popeye the sailor man!"

Although I learned to eat spinach, it never had the same affect on me.  I have, on the other hand, found the true source of supernatural power.  Paul prays for the Ephesian Christians (and for us!) to be strengthened by the Holy Spirit,  It goes far beyond bulging muscles.  It is strength deep within us and its power  is measured by the "riches of His glory"!  How much is that?!  Strength without limits!!

Why do we need such power?  So we can live each day walking in faith.  Paul calls it "Christ dwelling in our hearts".  It's the concept of moment by moment communication with Christ, having Him direct us step by step.  As this occurs, our "roots" sink deeper, our "foundation"  becomes more solid -- our relationship with Jesus grows more intimate, and we are able to trust Him even more.

Lord Jesus,  I know You live in me.  You took up residence in my heart when, as a child, I prayed to receive You.  I confess that too often I have confined you to the  "guest room" rather than giving You full access to my life.   I'm opening the door this morning and asking You to fill every "nook and cranny" of my heart.  Please give me the power to trust You with every aspect of this day.  Like Popeye, I want to be strong to the finish!  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment