Monday, January 20, 2014

Life's two key questions...

Acts 22:6-10 "But it happened that as I was on my way, approaching Damascus about noontime, a very bright light suddenly flashed from heaven all around me, and I fell to the ground and heard a voice saying to me, 'Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me?' I said, "Who are You, Lord?"  And He said, "I am Jesus whom you are persecuting." ......  And I said, 'What shall I do, Lord?' And the Lord said to me, 'Get up and go on into Damascus, and there you will be told of all that has been appointed for you to do.'"

If you encountered Jesus.face to face, what question would you ask Him?  Some time ago a Gallup survey. queried what 3 questions you would ask God... here are the top 5 responses:
1. Will there ever be lasting world peace?
2. How can I be a better person?
3. What does the future hold for my family and me?
4. Will there ever be a cure for all diseases?
5. Why is there suffering in the world?

As I read the three accounts of Paul's conversion in Acts, I saw that Paul asked two questions of Jesus.
1. Who are You?  He was acquainted with Jesus ... He had undoubtedly heard Him teach in and around Jerusalem.  Paul was probably a member of the Sanhedrin, and as such, could possibly sat with those who condemned Jesus.  He knew about Jesus, but didn't know him.  Knowing Jesus became Paul's lifelong quest. (Phil 3:10)

2. What do You want me to do?
As the immensity of the encounter sank in, Paul's second question asked for direction.  What shall I do?  When we ask that question, we must ask it humbly with submission and determined obedience.  Jesus gave Paul a broad job description - preach to the Gentiles, but He only gave enough specifics to get him through the next few days.  That's usually how He works with us, too.  One step at a time instead of laying out the details of the grand plan all at once.

As I think about it, it seems to me that these are life's most pivotal questions.  If I ask humbly and sincerely, and listen carefully to Jesus' response, my life will be on track.  My walk with Him will be obedient and honoring to my Savior.  That's all I want.

Thank you, Lord, for simplifying my relationship with You.  I do want to get to know You more intimately today, and I need You to direct my steps.  Help me to obey You today and trust You for tomorrow.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment