Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Why do I keep failing the test?...

John 6:6 "And this He was saying to test him; for He Himself knew what He was intending to do."

Jesus had been teaching and healing in and around Capernaum, and the crowds kept growing and pressing on Him.  He and the disciples needed a break, so they got into a boat and went to the other side of the the Sea of Galilee for some "alone time".  Some of the people took note, and before long, a multitude had taken off on foot, hiking around the north end of the sea in search of the Miracle Worker.

Meanwhile, Jesus and the Twelve were relaxing on the hillside.  Jesus looked up, saw the approaching crowd, and pulled Philip aside to ask a question.  "Where are we going to buy food for these hungry people?"  He already knew that He would feed them with a paltry kid's meal.  He wanted Philip to ponder the question.  He was testing him to see if he would rely on Jesus or on his own resources.

Think about it...Philip and the eleven had seen water turned into wine, lepers cleansed, lame men walking.  Yet, he still focused on his own lack of resources rather than turning it over to the Son of God.  How could he be so blind?!!

Oops.  Philip and I have a lot in common.  Just like him, I fail that test regularly.  I find myself in situations beyond my control and, instead of giving way to Jesus, I fret about my lack of resources.  Like Philip, I, too, have seen the Miracle Worker in action; I've experienced His touch; I've seen His provision.  Yet, I still fall into the Devil's trap of self-sufficiency. 

Lord, thank you for being patient with me.  Thank you for providing, in spite of my slowness to trust You and acknowledge Your power.  Please help me to pass the test next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment