Thursday, February 16, 2012

Beaten by a blind man...

2 Corinthians 5:7 "For we walk by faith, not by sight."

I'm not a very good golfer.  How bad am I?  How's this...a few years ago I was outscored weekly by a blind man!  My friend, an older pastor, was legally blind.  Due to hemorrhaging in both eyes, he had no frontal vision.  It was like someone had placed a quarter in front of each of them.  But, he always hit the ball straight and he knew how far it would go with each of his clubs.  My job was to line him up towards the hole.  It was so tempting to point him just a few degrees off the target!!  But he was my mentor and friend, and I just couldn't do it.  I, on the other hand, could see well and could hit the ball much further.  I just never knew in what direction it would go, no matter where I aimed.

Pastor Spice embodied the essence of walking by faith, both physically and spiritually.  Though he couldn't see the flag with his eyes, when I described the scene, he envisioned it in his mind. He knew I wouldn't let him trip over an obstacle or walk into a tree.  He listened to me and he trusted me.

I learned a lot from my friend.  Today he is seeing much more clearly than I do.  He's with Jesus.  I'm not, and too often I find myself with no frontal vision.  I can't see what lies ahead.  I have decisions to make that, if incorrect, could have significant negative impact.  So, what do I do?  I listen to the Holy Spirit and I allow Him to point me towards the "flag".  Then I try to envision what He has told me and walk by faith, knowing that He won't allow me to stumble or walk into a tree.  Easier said than done!

The most important part for me is to be sure I am discerning the Spirit's voice and not putting words in His mouth. 

Lord, I'm so thankful that You are constantly making course corrections in my life.  Please do that for me today.  Help me to hear You clearly and to really listen carefully to what You are saying.  Then, give me the courage to trust You enough to walk.


No comments:

Post a Comment