Friday, January 17, 2014

Ouch!!! I get the point!

Acts 26:13-14 "... at midday, O King, I saw on the way a light from heaven, brighter than the sun, shining all around me and those who were journeying with me.  And when we had all fallen to the ground, I heard a voice saying to me in the Hebrew dialect, 'Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me? It is hard for you to kick against the goads.'"

As I read about Paul's conversion, I am struck by the phrase, "It is hard for you to kick against the goads."  A goad was a long stick with a very sharp point at one end, used by farmers to "motivate" their oxen as they plowed their fields.  If the ox ignored the farmer's orders, the farmer would stick his rear leg with the goad.  When the ox tried to kick the goad loose, it would further imbed itself, causing more pain until the ox yielded to the farmer's will.

I've been pondering this phrase and I don't think the "Damascus Road" experience was God's first conversation with Saul about Jesus.  I believe the Holy Spirit had been working on him, goading him toward this crisis of faith.  I imagine He used martyrs like Stephen to prick his conscience, preparing him for his dramatic encounter with the Savior. Saul refused to believe Jesus was the Messiah and tried to destroy His followers.  He kicked furiously against the goads until he finally yielded to God's will.

I think God still uses goads today.  I know He uses them in my life.  There are times when He wants me to do something that's not on my agenda.  I try to ignore it, but the Holy Spirit is relentless and very creative.  He speaks to me in my morning time in the Word. He uses people - sometimes it's an offhand remark,  but more often it's the testimony of a faithful, obedient walk with The Lord.  Ultimately God gets His way with me, and I am changed in the process.

Dear Lord, thank You for not giving up on me when I stubbornly insist on going my direction, doing things my way.  Please help me to respond quickly to Your "prick". I pray that my words and example will be useful if You happen to need a goad today. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment