Thursday, January 23, 2014

Trusting God when it doesn't make sense...

Acts 9:10-14 "Now there was a disciple at Damascus named Ananias; and the Lord said to him in a vision, "Ananias." And he said, "Here I am, Lord." And the Lord said to him, "Get up and go to the street called Straight, and inquire at the house of Judas for a man from Tarsus named Saul, for he is praying, and he has seen in a vision a man named Ananias come in and lay his hands on him, so that he might regain his sight."  But Ananias answered, "Lord, I have heard from many about this man, how much harm he did to Your saints at Jerusalem; and here he has authority from the chief priests to bind all who call on Your name."

Trusting God is rarely an easy thing to do.  Faith, by it's very nature, leads me out of my comfort zone, stretching me beyond what I think are my limits.  Occasionally God goes way past what I would say is reasonable.  The Old Testament saints in Hebrews 11 illustrate that point quite well.

Ananias surely felt that way when The Lord told him to go visit Saul.  In so many words he asked God if He was sure He knew what He was doing.  Hadn't He heard what a scary character, what a bad man he was?

I have felt that way a few times in my life.  God seemed to be asking me to do something that didn't make any sense.  Yet, when I took a deep breath and obediently plunged ahead, The Lord "blessed my socks off."  Those times have become markers, reference points in my life.  When my faith is shaky, the Holy Spirit takes me back there and reminds me of God's faithfulness.

Like Ananias, my goal today is to hear God clearly and obey, even if it doesn't make sense.

Dear Lord, thank You for being so patient with me when I balk at what You are leading me to do.  Thank you for stretching me and for proving Your faithfulness time after time. I love You and trust You.  I'm looking forward to what You're going to teach me today.

No comments:

Post a Comment