Thursday, July 19, 2012

"It's hard to say no..."

1 Samuel 3:13  "For I have told him that I am about to judge his house forever for the iniquity which he knew, because his sons brought a curse on themselves and he did not rebuke them.

Eli, the priest, had two rascally sons.  Hophni and Phinehas profaned the Lord's Sanctuary, sleeping with the temple attendants, ignoring the laws regarding sacrifices and taking the best of the meat for themselves.

Because of their lifestyle and actions, these two men brought judgement upon their father's house.  But was the fault theirs alone?  If you read carefully, it is clear that God holds their father, Eli, responsible.  Eli knew what his sons were like from a young age and he chose to turn a "blind eye" to their actions.  They grew up without discipline.

I have worked with thousands of young people and their families over the years.  For the most part, the parents have taken active roles in training their children ... setting boundaries, maintaining behavior standards, and the like.  Recently, however, I am encountering more young parents who cater to their children's every desire.  These little ones are growing up with a sense of entitlement, lacking respect for others, and demanding their "rights".  They are headed down a road filled with unhappiness and pain.

God's Word is clear... it is the parents' privilege and responsibility to "train up a child in the way he should go..."  When we as fathers abdicate that role, our whole family pays the price.  It isn't always easy to say,"No!"; setting and consistently maintaining standards of behavior is hard work.  But, diligence pays off in the end.  What greater joy can a parent have than to see his children walking with the Lord!

Lord, help me today to encourage the parents I encounter, help me to mentor my children and grandchildren. Please use me, give me wisdom and discernment as I interact with those whom You bring across my path today.

No comments:

Post a Comment