Tuesday, July 31, 2012

I've Got Your Back...

1 Samuel 14:7 "His armor bearer said to him, 'Do all that is in your heart; turn yourself, and here I am with you according to your desire.'"

The Israelites were in trouble.  They were surrounded, pinned down, and severely outnumbered by the Philistine army.  Saul's army had melted away, most of the soldiers having gone into hiding.  Where was Saul?  Sitting under a pomegranate tree, wondering what to do.

Saul's son, Jonathon, decided to stir things up.  Accompanied by his armor-bearer (kind of like a pro golfer's caddy), he sneaks over to the nearest Philistine garrison, ready to attack if the Lord gives him the green light.  Just before he climbs up over the precipice to engage the enemy, his armor bearer says, in so many words, "I've got your back!" The two of them go on to slaughter the twenty soldiers in the garrison and God responds by sending an earthquake to throw panic and confusion into the rest of the Philistine army.

"I've got your back."  That's what God promises His children.  Psalm 34:7 says, "The Angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear Him, and rescues them."  We never have to worry about God deserting or turning His back on us.  He's got us covered!

I am blessed to have a few friends who resemble Jonathon's armor bearer.  I've heard this kind of person described as a "mortgage friend" - someone who would mortgage his house if need be to help me out of a jam.  These friends would do whatever it takes to help me, and I would do the same for them.

What a sense of peace and security to have a Heavenly Father and His host of angels, as well as Christian brothers who "have my back!" 

Lord, thank You for Your promise to never leave or abandon me, and thank You for giving me a "band of brothers" who watch out for one another.  You are amazing!  Amen.







No comments:

Post a Comment