Thursday, October 31, 2013

I love it when Your Plan comes together...

Acts 16:6-9    "They passed through the Phrygian and Galatian region, having been forbidden by the Holy Spirit to speak the word in Asia; and after they came to Mysia, they were trying to go into Bithynia, and the Spirit of Jesus did not permit them;  and passing by Mysia, they came down to Troas.  A vision appeared to Paul in the night: a man of Macedonia was standing and appealing to him, and saying, "Come over to Macedonia and help us." When he had seen the vision, immediately we sought to go into Macedonia, concluding that God had called us to preach the gospel to them."

I love to make plans and I'm pretty good at it.  I love it when my plan comes together, but I get frustrated when things don't go the way I laid them out.  I should know better.  As a teacher, I was accustomed to making detailed lesson plans for the coming week.  They looked great on Monday morning, but by Tuesday afternoon there were lots of "cross-outs", circles, and arrows.  When plans intersect with people, plans change.

It's that way in my walk with God... like Paul on his second missionary journey.  He and Silas had a plan to go back and visit the churches of Asia, encouraging and strengthening the Christians.  They set out from Antioch, itinerary in hand, sure of where they were headed.  Then the Holy Spirit intervened, and their plans went out the window.  God had a bigger plan in mind: to take the Gospel to Europe.

I love Paul's response to God's change in direction.  Like a good teacher, he had a "Plan B".  But God nixed that one, too.  What did Paul do then?  He didn't fret or throw a temper tantrum; he didn't pack up and run home in frustration.  He waited to hear from God, and when The Lord spoke, he immediately swung into action.  God's plan became Paul's plan.

I want to be like that.  I'll never stop being a planner.  It's part of who I am.  I am learning however, that while they organizes my thoughts and give me a sense of direction, my plans must be subject to change.  I'm trying to consciously turn them over to God for a "plan check", asking for His direction and correction.  Like Paul, I am learning that my plans are often short-sighted, that God has something bigger in mind.  

Father, thank You for being so patient with me.  It must frustrate You when I plow ahead with my agenda, despite Your attempts to adjust my course.  Thank You for caring enough to intervene and "close doors" when my plan doesn't line up with Yours.  Lord, please help me today to hear You and respond.  I do love it when Your plan comes together!  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment