Monday, October 14, 2013

Lessons from the Wheelhouse

Proverbs 3:5-6  "Trust in The Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding.  In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your steps."

I just returned home from a wonderful week of oceanography/marine biology experiences with our 7th graders.  While crossing the channel from Catalina Island to Long Beach, I had the privilege of taking the helm of our ship, The Wilderness Explorer.  Standing in the wheelhouse, I received instructions on how to safely pilot her towards port.  In front of me were a variety of instruments that informed me where I was and in what direction I was headed.  They also warned me of potential dangers.

So... my job was to focus on the compass and to keep the ship headed on a bearing of 31 degrees.  Sounds easy enough.  Not so.  Although the sea was relatively calm, there was a strong current from the northwest which, along with the winds, kept pushing the ship southeast.  I was constantly adjusting our course, and, unlike a Sea Doo, our ship didn't respond immediately.  She came about gradually and it was easy to over-correct.  I'm sure our wake showed a dramatic zig-zag pattern.

Fortunately for me, there was a GPS that illustrated our position and course.  There was a lever that rotated, showing me the position of the rudder whenever I turned the wheel.  It was important to keep the rudder pointing in the right direction.  There was a radar screen that pictured traffic in the area, and there was a sonar readout that showed the ocean depth.  Positioned right in front of me, in the center of the dashboard, was a large compass.  It was my primary focal point, for it informed me of my heading, and helped me to know which direction to steer when I needed to make a course correction.  In addition to paying close attention to the instruments, I had to continually scan the horizon, watching for approaching traffic.

Piloting a ship is not as easy as I thought it would be.  Fortunately, an experienced helmsman was standing at my shoulder to provide instruction and encouragement.  As I stood at the helm, wheel in hand, I saw a striking parallel to my walk with Jesus.

I am on a voyage to a specific destination: Heaven.   The Bible is both my chart that sets the course, and the compass that informs me of my "heading".  The Holy Spirit is my GPS, my sonar, and the experienced helmsman who stands at my shoulder to direct me.  My fellow Travelers warn me of approaching dangers.

Though the course is set and the vessel is seaworthy, the voyage is not simple.  Keeping the ship on track and avoiding danger is not an easy task.  I am constantly buffeted by winds of doubt and fear, pushed off course by tides of the cares and temptations of this world.  Thank God for His "navigational instruments", the constant reassuring presence of His Helmsman , and the accountability and fellowship of my fellow passengers!  With God's help, I will reach my destination safely.

Dear Lord, I am so thankful that You have not left me to navigate this voyage by myself.  Without You, I would end up crashing on the rocks or capsizing in the waves.  Thank You, Holy Spirit, for standing at my shoulder.  I will keep my eyes on the course and listen carefully to your instructions.  What a beautiful day for a voyage!  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment