Tuesday, October 15, 2013

I love my job!

Luke 18:16 "But Jesus called for them, saying, "Permit the children to come to Me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these."

I'm the principal of a Christian school (K-8) and, like most educators, our jobs can become quite a grind.  I've been around long enough to observe how kids, parents, family structure, discipline, etc. have changed over the years.  Quite frankly, much of the fun has gone out of being an educator.  That's the tired, old part of me talking after a frustrating series of conferences, discipline issues, and phone calls.

Then there are days like today.  This morning I had a 3rd grade visitor to my office.  This young man has a very highly defined, very narrow sense of "fairness".  When something doesn't go his way, or he is called "out" in a game, he reacts inappropriately, to say the least.  That was the case today.  After our session, I sent him, still a bit teary-eyed, back to class, and I asked my secretary to watch him on our security monitors to be sure he made it safely.  Here's what she saw.  Two 7th graders walked past my little friend and then, the larger of the two turned back to check on him.  He approached the little guy, got down on one knee and talked with him.  My secretary couldn't hear the conversation, but from the body language and facial expression, it must have been encouraging.  The brief encounter ended with the two boys bumping knuckles and going their separate ways.  That little vignette nearly brought the two of us to tears.

A little later, on my way to visit a class, I passed the kindergartners at the lunch tables.  As I walked by, a little boy ran after me, anxious to get my attention.  "Guess what, Mr. Brown", this 5-year-old exclaimed excitedly.  "Last night I asked Jesus into my heart!"  Wow!  Two tear-jerkers in one day!!

That's why I do what I do.  I'll let you in on a little secret.  It's not the academics that get me out of bed in the morning.  Yes, academics are important; after all, we're a school.  But the reason I keep coming to the office is much bigger, much more important than that.  We are in the business of building foundations, helping children to have something solid, eternal that will help them make wise decisions as they mature.  We're in the "fruit tree planting" business.  We keep planting and watering seeds of Truth, hoping someday to see the fruit of godly character, growing from an intimate relation with Jesus.

As in any vocation, there are ups and downs, good days and bad days.  It's days like today that remind me why I love my job!

Dear Lord, I am so blessed to be able to share Your truth with children and young adults.  Thank You for days like today when I catch a glimpse of what You are doing in their lives.  Thank You for re-energizing me.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment