Monday, June 4, 2012

"A Father's Gift...."

Proverbs 4:3-5  "When I was a son to my father, tender and the only son of my mother, then he taught me and said to me, 'Let your heart hold fast my words; keep my commandments and live!  Acquire wisdom! Acquire understanding!'"

Solomon, the author of Proverbs, was the wisest man who ever lived.  His discernment was a gift from God.  At the beginning of his reign, the Lord appeared to the newly-crowned king in a dream and said, "Ask what you will..."  Solomon's request was for wisdom, the ability to discern, to judge the people rightly.

Why did Solomon ask for wisdom?  Why not ask for wealth, power, long life?  I believe he remembered the advice of his father, David.   David was a man after God's own heart, and he poured what he had learned into Solomon.  David's words bore fruit in his son.

As Father's Day approaches, I look back over my relationship with my son and my daughter and I pray that the legacy of faith in Jesus, handed down to me from my father and his father before him, will continue in them and their children.  No other gift I could have given them is more valuable or more important.

Lord, thank you for giving me a godly father, for giving me a heritage of faith.  Thank you for the privilege of sharing it with my son and daughter.  Thank you for letting  me see my children and grandchildren walking with You.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment