Wednesday, May 30, 2012

"I Can Do It Myself!"


Proverbs 3:5-6 "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not upon your own understanding.  In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your path."

Michael was 4 years old and was trying to tie his shoe...working hard, getting frustrated. When I asked if he needed help, he responded stubbornly, "I can do it myself!"  So, I stepped back and let him alone.  Finally, after he had gotten things really tangled up, through his tears he asked, "Daddy, will you help me?"

Wanting to do things by ourselves is normal.  Not wanting help comes naturally.  God wants us to learn how to do things, but He also wants us to know when to ask for help.  He also wants us to learn to follow His directions.

What do you do when you aren't sure which direction to go or what decision to make?  ASK (Matt 7:7-8)
Ask...Seek...Knock

Can God help us?   YES!  Eph 3:20 “And now, to Him Who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above what we ask imagine, according to His power that is at work within us…”

Does God want to help us?    YES!!  Matt 7:9-10  “…how much more will your Father in Heaven give good gifts to those who ask Him!”

What should we ask for?
....Things we need - Matt 6:8
·       ....  Wisdom - 2 Chron 1:7-11; James 1:5

Why don't we get what we ask for?
·         ...Selfishness         James 4:2-
·         ...Disobedience    1 John 3:22
·         ...Not in accordance with His will   1 John 5:11

Lord, You know my heart.  You know my tendency to try and do things on my own.  Please help me today to depend wholly, gratefully, humbly on You.

No comments:

Post a Comment