Wednesday, August 15, 2012

I forgive you, but...

2 Samuel 12:13-14       "Then David exclaimed to Nathan, 'I have sinned against the LORD!' Nathan replied to David, 'Yes, and the LORD has forgiven your sin. You are not going to die.  Nonetheless, because you have treated the LORD with such contempt in this matter, the son who has been born to you will certainly die.'"

David had sinned.  He had taken another man's wife and, in order to cover up the sin, had him killed.  Though he thought he had gotten away with it, deep in his soul he must have known that he could hide nothing from God.  Sure enough, along came Nathan the prophet to confront him and, when he did, David acknowledged what he had done.

Nathan proclaimed the good news that God had forgiven David and wasn't going to kill him, but then the other shoe dropped.  Because of David's rebellion, the baby in Bathsheba's womb, the fruit of his sin,  would die.   

There are always consequences to sin.  Science explains it this way: "for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction."  God's Word says, "What a man sows, so shall he reap."  The writer of Hebrews tells us that God disciplines us for our good, just like a good father would.

To be honest, that's what keeps me from presumptuous sin.  I sin enough without purposefully rebelling.  But when I am in a tempting situation, the Holy Spirit reminds me of "what happens next", and more often than not, it is enough to help me avoid Satan's trap.

One of my most important tasks in working with children is to teach them (and their parents!) this life-saving principle. and I have found that the most effective tool for teaching it is consistent, loving discipline.   I don't like discipline.... but I thank God for it!

Lord, thank You that You love me so much that You won't let me get away with sinning.  I am so grateful for Your Holy Spirit, Who keeps me in line.  Please help me to listen carefully to You today and to be careful in all I do and say.  Let me bring honor to You today.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment