Thursday, August 30, 2012

"God's Optometry Office"

2 Corinthians 4:8-9  "We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair;  persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed.  4:17-18  For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all.   So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal."

I received a call from my optometrist's office yesterday, reminding me that I need to come in for my annual checkup.  I'll spend an hour or so at the office answering questions such as, "Which is better, lens A or lens B?  Lens B or lens C?"  She'll test for glaucoma, check the status of my cataracts, and adjust my prescription to compensate for the degradation of my vision.

Why go through all those tests?  So I can see more clearly, focus more accurately.

The tests in God's "optometry office" are a little more painful.  It feels more like going to the dentist than to the optometrist!   Paul describes the process as being "hard pressed" (the word actually describes the process of squashing grapes). Not comfortable, and it feels interminable!  However....God say it's only "momentary" and it's "light".  Easy for Him to say!!!  But,  He reminds me that there's a purpose to the pain.

God uses uses the  process to adjust my focus. He lifts my vision from the close-up, temporal to the long-range, eternal.  It is like changing from a macro to a wide angle lens.  God's "tests" help me to see the big picture. My perspective changes and so does my attitude.  My dread is replaced with hope, my fear replaced with joy.

Lord, I don't like what's going on right now.  I feel like a grape,with someones's foot squashing me into mush.  Yet I know that You have a purpose and a plan; You're making some adjustments to my "vision". I trust You.  My hope is in You.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment