Wednesday, April 10, 2013

5 Words I'll Never Say...

Ephesians 6:24  "Grace be with all those who love our Lord Jesus Christ with incorruptible love."

We live in a "throw-away" society.  Almost everything is disposable.  If you don't like it or you get tired of it, sell it in a garage sale, donate it to charity, or throw it away.    And it's not just "things" we throw away.   Sadly, "disposable" also applies to relationships.

Our culture's vocabulary has evolved to the point that the word "commitment" has been replaced with  "convenient".  We see it in the 50+% divorce rate.  Unwritten, but commonly understood, in the wedding vows is the disclaimer, "as long as I am in love with you."

Paul describes a Christian's love, both towards Christ and towards each other, as "incorruptible".  It is the opposite of perishable, and it carries with it the wonderful security of permanence.   How can that be?  How can I commit myself to love someone, whether it be God or my wife, forever?  What if I "fall out of love"?

Fortunately, it doesn't depend on me or my emotions.  God's Holy Spirit lives in me and promises to produce that "forever" love in and through me.  It is God's nature to love, and He is in the process of reproducing His love in my heart and in my relationships.  Because of Who He is, there are 5 words that will never come out of my mouth: "I don't love you anymore."

Dear Lord, I am so thankful that in our "throw-away" culture, I find permanence in You.  ThankYou for Your immutability, Your "unchangeableness".  Thank  You that because of Your Holy Spirit, my love for You and for my wife continues to grow, deepen, mature.  Please help me to express it better today.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment