Monday, April 8, 2013

Speaking Freely...

Ephesians 6:19-20 "Pray also on my behalf, that to me may be given a word in the opening of my mouth, in freedom, to make known the secret of the Gospel, for which I am an ambassador in a chain, that in it I may speak freely -- as I ought to speak."

Paul was a gifted speaker, so much so that the Greeks in Lystra called him "Mercury", after the mythological orator. He never seemed to be at a loss for words. How is it, then, that he asks for prayer in regards to what he would say?

I try to imagine Paul's circumstance. He was under house arrest in Rome, chained to a Roman soldier 24/7. Although he was the prisoner, Paul had a captive audience! God had given him a rare opportunity to infiltrate the ranks of the elite Praetorian guard, and he recognized that his wisdom was insufficient. He needed God's words, and he needed the confidence to speak freely.

Although I haven't shared Paul's identical circumstance, I often find myself in situations where I sense the opportunity to share the Good News with someone who needs it. Ashamedly, I haven't always taken advantage of the opportunity, not knowing what to say or not wanting to interrupt my schedule. There have been times, however, when I was sensitive to the Holy Spirit's prompts, when I was open to His leading, and I shared the Gospel appropriately and effectively. Afterwards, I realized that the words weren't mine, but His. What an exhilarating feeling!

Lord, thank you for Your promise to give us the words to speak when we need them. Thank You, Holy Spirit, for constantly leading me into opportunities to share the Word. Please help me today to listen to You, to respond to Your nudges, and to speak Your words (not mine!) freely. I want to be Your ambassador. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment