Friday, April 5, 2013

The Holy Spirit and Smart Phones...

Ephesians 6:18 - 19   "With all prayer and petition pray at all times in the Spirit, and with this in view, be on the alert with all perseverance and petition for all the saints; and pray on my behalf, that utterance may be given to me in the opening of my mouth, to make known with boldness the mystery of the gospel..."

I bought an iPhone a couple of months ago.  It is my first "smart" phone, and I am amazed at how dependent on it I have become.  It wakes me in the morning, starts my day with a worship song, opens the Word of God along with multiple study tools,  tells me what the weather will be like, warns me of traffic on my commute, directs me when I'm not sure of my route, answers my queries throughout the day, constantly updates my email, and instantaneously sends and receives  messages.  And, if I so choose, I can talk to people with it.

The Holy Spirit is kind of like my iPhone.  In wrapping  up his description of our spiritual armor, Paul spoke of the importance of constant communication with our Commander in Chief.  He said we are to be in continual contact with Him by means of the Holy Spirit.  We are to be ever alert, listening for His direction, fervently praying for our fellow-soldiers.  As we do that, the Spirit guides us, warns us, encourages us, gives us discernment and wisdom, brings God's Word to mind and helps us to use it effectively.   He sees the "big picture" and is able to direct each of His soldiers to function in concert with each other.

Dear Lord, I am so thankful that You desire to communicate with me.  Thank You for the Holy Spirit, my "spiritual smartphone", Who facilitates our conversations and constantly sends updates  of Your plans for me.  Please help me today to listen for His prompts.  Keep me vigilant in my prayers for my fellow-soldiers.  Help me to  keep my "phone" turned on and charged up, ready to hear Your voice.  Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment