Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Avoiding spiritual autopilot...

Philemon 1:6  "and I pray that the fellowship of your faith may become energized through the true knowledge of every good thing which is in you for Christ's sake."

I once asked a friend how his week had gone.  His monotone, deadpan reply was, "Same old thing, miracle after miracle."  While his response produced a chuckle, it also got me to thinking about the illogical contrast in those two phrases.  Shouldn't one contradict the other?

Have you ever let your mind drift while driving down the freeway and then suddenly "awake" to find that you have travelled several miles on "auto pilot"?  It's like that for me in my spiritual  life sometimes.  At bedtime, as I review the tape of the day's events,  the Holy Spirit reveals lapses of concentration, missed opportunities.  I had been so focused on tasks and schedules that I wasn't aware of the people God intended for me to touch.  How can I avoid going into "spiritual autopilot"?

Paul's prayer for his friend Philemon provides some insight.  If I understand his words correctly, a key to staying alert is for me to exercise my spiritual gifts.  The word translated "true knowledge" has to do with putting one's knowledge into action, transforming understanding into experience.  I am not only to be aware of,thankful for, the gifts (the "good thing") with which God has blessed me.  I am to use them under the direction of the Holy Spirit and, in so doing, my faith will become dynamically energized.

Lord, as I peruse my schedule for the day, all I can see is a list of appointments.  I can't yet visualize the opportunities for ministry You have planned.  Please set Your "alerts" in my calendar and help me to utilize my spiritual gifts so that tonight as I review the day, I'll rejoice to see all of the encounters You penciled in.  No auto pilot for me today!  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment