Monday, May 20, 2013

Abiding….


I was blessed last week to officiate at the wedding of a dear friend's son.  Eric is 44 and has finally found the love of his life.  As he and Jen gazed into each other's eyes, they spoke words of life-long commitment to each other.  They proclaimed an enduring, abiding love… a love that would grow and flourish… a love without end.  

According to God's Word, the marriage relationship mirrors that of Christ and the church.  That same abiding, growing, life-long love should characterize my relationship to Jesus.  John, the "beloved disciple", uses the word, "abide" more than any other Gospel writer.  He postulates that abiding (staying put, remaining, enduring) is the foundation of our relationship with Christ.  Abiding in Him speaks of total commitment, a life built upon and centered in His Word.  Here are a few of the truths John teaches about "abiding"...
Abiding in the Word is a mark of a disciple Jn 8:31
Abiding in Jesus produces fruit Jn 15:5
Abiding in Jesus, His Word abiding in us = answered prayer Jn 15:7
Obedience to the Word facilitates abiding in the Jesus' love Jn 15:10; 1 Jn 3:24
Abiding in Jesus produces a Christ-like lifestyle 1 Jn 2:6
Abiding in the Word produces spiritual strength 1 Jn 2:14
If the Word abides in us we will abide in the Son and in the Father 1 Jn 2:24
Abiding in Him keeps us from habitual sin 1 Jn 3:5, 9
The Holy Spirit in us assures us that we abide in Him 1 Jn 3:24; 4:13
Abiding in Jesus results in confessing, talking about Him 1 Jn 4:15
Abiding in God produces enduring, mature love for each other 1 Jn 4:12, 16

In the marriage ceremony I reminded the bride and groom that loving each other is a choice, a commitment that transcends emotions.  There will be times when they don’t “feel” in love, times when they may not like each other very much.  It is in those times that their love will be tested and stretched; it is as they honor their commitment to each other that their love will grow.

It is the same in my relationship with Jesus.  Abiding in Him, in His Word is a choice.  If I am truly to be a disciple, I must consistently, daily spend time with Him, even when “I’m too tired”.  It is those times, when I don’t feel like reading the Bible or praying, that reveal my heart.   Consistently honoring my commitment to Him shows that I am abiding in Him and He in me.

Dear Jesus, it amazes me that You would choose to live in me!  Thank You for the indwelling Holy Spirit, for Your Word that fills my heart and mind and guides my thoughts, words, and steps.  Please reveal Yourself in and through me today.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment