Tuesday, May 7, 2013

The proof of the pudding is in the eating...

1 John 2:3 - 6 "By this we know that we have come to know Him, if we keep His commandments. The one who says, "I have come to know Him," and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him; but whoever keeps His word, in him the love of God has truly been perfected. By this we know that we are in Him: the one who says he abides in Him ought himself to walk in the same manner as He walked."

My wife, being from the UK, loves most things British, particularly chocolate.  She'll tell you that there's not much that can match the taste of Cadbury's chocolate. So it follows that she was excited one Christmas to find Cadbury bars on sale at our local grocery store.  She bought enough to stuff everyone's stocking and could hardly wait for Christmas.  When the Morning finally arrived and she popped a piece of chocolate into her mouth, a look of confusion and disappointment filled her eyes.  It didn't taste right.  A close examination of the wrapper revealed that the bar was made in Pennsylvania! The Hershey company had bought Cadbury and, using their recipe, but with American ingredients, had begun producing "Cadbury" chocolate.  The label may have said "Cadbury's chocolate", but what was inside told a different story.

So it is with me sometimes.  My "wrapper" may declare that I am a Christian, but when you peel back the paper, something just doesn't taste right.  If I am transparently honest, my actions and attitudes don't always reflect those of Jesus.  Fortunately, God knows me well.  He knows my imperfections and shortcomings, but He also knows my heart and my desire to serve Him.  He is quick to forgive and to restore me when I fall short of who I should be.

It is my intention to walk in Jesus' steps.  I want others to see a genuine follower of Christ...not an imitation.  My "wrapper" declares that I am a Christian, but as the old English proverb says, "The proof of the pudding is in the eating."

Dear Lord, I want to serve You well today.  Please, Holy Spirit, control me, guide me, use me... Help me to walk in such a way that others see more of Jesus and less of me. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment