Monday, May 13, 2013

Loving things & using people or Using things & loving people?

1 John 2:15-17.  "Do not love the world nor the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.  For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh and the lust of the eyes and the boastful pride of life, is not from the Father, but is from the world.  The world is passing away, and also its lusts; but the one who does the will of God lives forever."

"He who dies with the most toys wins".  As I walk our dogs around the neighborhood, that mantra seems to be alive and well.  Driveways are full and most of them overflow onto the street in front of the houses.  Few people park their vehicles in the garage.  They can't... The garages are packed with "toys" and accumulated "stuff".

Each June a local realtor facilitates a neighborhood garage sale so we can free up space.  How long does the newly discovered real estate remain uncluttered?  Until the next "must have" catches our eye.

It is so easy to get caught up in the ways and values of this world.  We are continually bombarded with messages selling the lie that by purchasing their product we will find the happiness that eludes us. How easily we are deceived!

God's Word shatters that illusion and brings everything back into focus.  It reminds me that for the most part, things are distractions.  They monopolize time, attention, and conversation.  They shift our attention from the Provider to the provision.  They distort our priorities and dissolve our contentment.

Dear Lord, I confess that I like "things", and that I am often too easily drawn into the false worldly way of thinking.  Thank You for continually bringing me back to Yourself.  Thank You for restoring my focus and realigning my priorities. Please help me to find my worth in You and to be content and thankful for Your provision.  I love You.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment