Wednesday, May 22, 2013

K.I.S.S....

1 John 3:23  "This is His commandment, that we believe in the name of His Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, just as He commanded us."

Matthew 22:37-39. "And He said to him, " 'YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND.' This is the great and foremost commandment.  The second is like it, 'YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.'"

It's funny what sticks in your mind.  I have a difficult time recalling details of significant events, yet things like K.I.S.S. pop up every now and then.  I was exposed to that acronym in a 7th grade English class.  We were writing our first-ever research paper and mine was so overrun with facts and references that it was difficult to follow the story.  That's when she laid the big K.I.S.S. on me.  She said the key to successful writing and speaking was to "Keep It Simple, Stupid".  I have never forgotten that advice and it has served me well over the years.

Jesus was a "K.I.S.S." sort of teacher.  The Pharisees asked Him what was the greatest commandment in the Law, expecting a long theological discourse. Instead he said, "Love God, love your neighbor."  John boiled down into one simple phrase what it takes to please God: "Trust Jesus, love your brother."

Yes, living a Christian life is pretty simple.  But don't confuse "simple" with "easy".  Those basic commands run counter to my natural inclination.  If I am brutally honest, I  confess that I tend toward self-sufficiency and self-centeredness.  I fight a daily battle.  Each morning (and throughout the day) I must consciously choose to trust Jesus, to seek His counsel, to listen carefully to the Holy Spirit's advice.  When I do that, it follows more naturally to put others' needs before my own.

 I try each evening to "review the tape" of my day.  Sometimes it is pleasant and I sense God's pleasure.  Other times I find it embarrassing.  Each time it drives me to my knees.

Lord, thank You for making things simple.  It gets awfully complicated and confusing when I take control.  Please help me to focus on the basics today.  I do trust You and I need You to love my brothers through me.  Thanks, again!  Amen..

No comments:

Post a Comment