Monday, September 16, 2013

Hopelessly devoted...

Acts 1:14  "These all with one mind were continually devoting themselves to prayer, along with the women, and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with His brothers."

Acts 2:42 "They were continually devoting themselves to teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer.

Colossians 4:2 "Devote yourselves to prayer, keeping alert in it with an attitude of thanksgiving..."

Each of us is devoted to something or someone.  As a husband and father, I am devoted to my wife and family.  In the movie, "Grease", Olivia Newton-John's character, Sandy, poured out her heart as she sang "Hopelessly Devoted to You" to the love of her life, Danny.

What is it to be "hopelessly devoted"?  It  means to be so committed to someone or something that nothing can diminish your passion; it is to be single-minded, entirely focused, making it your highest priority, giving it your undivided attention.

That word is used 10 times in the New Testament.  Half of those verses deal with our attitude toward prayer.  It describes Jesus' habit of continual communication with His Father and it pictures the priority of the early Christians.  As I ponder this, I have to ask the question, "Does it describe me.?"

What does "devotion to prayer" look like?  I don't think it means that we have to spend hours at a time on our knees, although sometimes that will happen.  It's more of a constant conversation with God, a continual awareness of His presence, actively listening for His voice, seeking His advice, counsel and direction throughout the day.  That's what Paul meant when he advised us to "pray without ceasing."

That's what I desperately want and need today... and tomorrow... and the next day.

Dear Lord, I am so amazed and thankful that You would want to carry on a conversation with me today.  I don't understand why, but I gladly, wholeheartedly accept your offer.  Please, Holy Spirit, help me to listen carefully, discern Your voice, and follow Your lead throughout this day.  I am hopelessly devoted to You!  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment