Tuesday, September 3, 2013

I can do it myself!...or can I?


2 Chronicles 18:1     "Now Jehoshaphat had riches and honor in abundance, and allied himself in marriage with Ahab."

2 Chronicles 19:2    "And Jehu the son of Hanani the seer went out to meet him, and said to king Jehoshaphat, 'Should you help the wicked, and love those who hate the LORD, and so bring wrath on yourself from the LORD?'
Nevertheless there is some good in you, for you have removed the Asheroth from the land, and you have set your  heart to seek God.  And Jehoshaphat lived in Jerusalem: and he went out again among the people from Beersheba to the hill country of Ephraim, and brought them back to the LORD, the God of their fathers."

I remember driving on the 710 Freeway one foggy night in the 1960's with my cousin Johnnie.  The fog was so thick, we could barely see the road, and we became disoriented.  I was sure we were headed north.  As we proceeded ever so cautiously, Johnnie had his head out the window so he could help me navigate.  He was able to make out some of the offramp signs and, according to them, we were headed south, not north.  I was so sure of myself that I argued with him, saying the signs must be wrong.  How foolish!  I finally got off the freeway and drove back in the opposite direction.

It's like that in life sometimes.  King Jehosophat had a heart to serve God, and God blessed him abundantly.  After awhile, Jehosophat became full of himself, "disoriented", and made some poor choices, one of which was to depend upon a military alliance rather than to depend on God.  And, to make matters worse, he allied himself with the most wicked king in history.

After a battle in which God rescued Jehosophat and punished Ahab, a man of God reprimanded the king for his foolishness.  Fortunately, Jehosophat took the confrontation to heart and once again led his people back to The Lord.

Like Jehosophat (and many others in Scripture), I find it easy to take God's provision and protection for granted.  As my sense of dependence and my gratitude wane, a deceptive feeling of self-sufficiency arises.  That's when I get in trouble.  I think I can fix things, handle situations, solve my own problems, chart my own course. And, of course, I can't. That's when God steps in.

How thankful I am that God looks beyond my foolishness and sees my heart.  He knows that I love Him and want to serve Him.  Because of that, He chooses to discipline me rather than to destroy me.  Hebrews 12:3-13 speaks of the process.  God disciplines us "for our good" and as we respond humbly and obediently, it "yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness."

Dear Lord, I am so grateful that You see beyond my sometimes foolish choices and reactions, and you look at my heart.  Thank You that You don't allow me to  continue in a wrong direction.  Thank you for giving me the Holy Spirit and for surrounding me with a wife and good friends who help keep me in check.  I do love You with my whole heart.  Please let my words, attitude, and actions reflect it today. I can't do it myself.  I need You!  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment