Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Oh, what a good boy am I ... or am I?

2 Chronicles 32:22 -25  "So the LORD saved Hezekiah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem from the hand of Sennacherib the king of Assyria and from the hand of all others, and guided them on every side. And many were bringing gifts to the LORD at Jerusalem and choice presents to Hezekiah king of Judah, so that he was exalted in the sight of all nations thereafter.

"In those days Hezekiah became mortally ill; and he prayed to the LORD, and the LORD spoke to him and gave him a sign. But Hezekiah gave no return for the benefit he received, because his heart was proud; therefore wrath came on him and on Judah and Jerusalem.

"Even in the matter of the envoys of the rulers of Babylon, who sent to him to inquire of the wonder that had happened in the land, God left him alone only to test him, that He might know all that was in his heart."

Hezekiah is described in Scripture as having been one of Judah's godliest kings, a man who, like David, served The Lord wholeheartedly.  As a result, God blessed him beyond measure.  Because Hezekiah was humble of heart, he was the recipient of miraculous intervention by God.  Even though he foolishly sought help by allying himself with Egypt, God rescued Jerusalem by destroying the Assyrian army overnight.  When Hezekiah became mortally ill, God healed him and extended his life by fifteen years.

How did Hezekiah respond to God's miracles?  The king of Babylon heard how The Lord had blessed Hezekiah and sent envoys to learn more about it.  Rather than simply giving God credit, Hezekiah pridefully displayed all of the treasures in his kingdom, thus setting the stage for the coming Babylon invasion.  After being miraculously healed, he didn't even say thank you.

It reminds me of a nursery rhyme I learned as an infant.  "Little Jack Horner sat in a corner eating his Christmas pie.  He stuck in his thumb and pulled out a plum, and said, 'Oh what a good boy am I.'"

How many times is it like that with me?  It is so easy for me to take God's blessings for granted and to assume credit for what He has done.  I don't want to be like that.  I need to be like our students on the playground when they hear the supervisor's whistle.  They're trained to "stop, drop, and listen".  I need to do that periodically throughout the day.  Periodically I should hit the "pause button", direct my attention to the Holy Spirit, and thankfully reflect on what God is doing in and around me.

Dear Lord, I confess to You that I too often get so caught up in my goals and busy-ness that I completely ignore You.  When You answer prayers and bring unexpected success, it is easy to receive the credit rather than to direct it towards You.  I pray that You will develop within me a heart of humility and gratitude.  Remind me today to pause and recognize Your hand in the day's events.  I do love You.  Let my attitude, words, and actions demonstrate that today.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment