Tuesday, September 4, 2012

The Ultimate Lifeguard...

2 Corinthians 1:10 "...Who delivered us from so great a death, and does deliver us; in whom we trust that He will still deliver us..."

I can still feel the embarrassment.  I was a 12 year old spending a lazy summer day at Seal Beach.  This was pre-surfboard, pre-boogie board.... my friend, Desi, and I were on our canvas surf mats waiting near the pier for the next big set of waves.  The beach was packed with teenagers trying to cram in the last few days of summer fun before heading back to school.  Desi and I had our backs to the beach, watching for signs of a swell, not realizing we were caught in a rip tide.  I happened to glance over my right shoulder and was shocked to see that we were drifting out near the end of the pier!  At the same time, Desi looked back towards shore and saw a crowd gathering as two lifeguards rushed into the surf.  "I think someone further out must be in trouble," observed Desi.  Little did we realize that we were the ones in trouble.  The lifeguards swam up to us, yanked us off our mats and hauled us in to shore.  Oh, the shame of it!  My face burns as I remember friends and strangers watching the two "cool surfer dudes" being dragged out of the ocean.

Looking back, I'm thankful for those lifeguards.  Even though I was oblivious to the danger, I was in desperate need of rescue.  The apostle Paul uses that same picture in speaking of one of God's roles in our lives.  He is the Ultimate Lifeguard!  He is constantly on the lookout for us, forever vigilant.  In that one little verse, Paul uses the word, "rescue" ("deliver") three times in three different tenses.  God has rescued us (past), does rescue us (present), and will still rescue us (future)!  Talk about a lifesaver!!!  Wow!!!

Even when I am unaware, oblivious to danger, God is ever watchful.  His love for me overflows in protection.  He rescues me from my foolishness, my ignorance, my unintentional and willful sins.  He restores and strengthens me.  He pulls me out of danger and sets me back on my feet.... again and again and again.

Thank You, Lord, for watching out for, watching over, and rescuing me.  Please help me to not be so much a bother to You today.  You deserve a break!  :-)   Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment