Monday, November 26, 2012

Earning your credentials...

Philemon 1:6  "... and I pray that the sharing of your faith may become effective through the knowledge of every good thing which is in you for Christ's sake."

The year was 1980.  I was halfway through an 18 month regimen of weekly chemotherapy treatments. Fatigue was my constant companion and nausea always hung just below the surface, eager to make its appearance.

In the midst of the physical discomfort, God was birthing something new deep inside me.  The fear and despair that enveloped me were being displaced by an inexplicable peace and joy.  The Holy Spirit was renewing me, remaking me with promises from His Word and by the prayers and  encouragement of my Christian friends.  I remember telling friends that He was "tenderizing" my heart.

The people who impacted me most were those who had overcome similar circumstances and had experienced God's mercy first hand.  They had "walked in my shoes" and, because of that, what they said pierced the surface and stuck in my heart.  They had instant credibility and I hung on their every word.

Paul's message to Philemon echoes my journey.  As we experience the "good things" Christ is doing in us, He is building in us a testimony.  My walk through cancer has given me credentials, allowing me to effectively share my faith with others who may be traveling the same road.  Whatever your circumstance, He's doing the same thing in you.

Lord, I can honestly say "Thank You" for my membership in the fraternity of cancer survivors.  Although it wasn't clear at the time, looking back, I see that the suffering was an essential part of my spiritual journey. I'm so thankful that I can trust You with every facet of my life.  Please let others see in me a grateful heart today. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment