Monday, November 5, 2012

"Living above reproach..."

Titus 1:7   "For the overseer must be above reproach as God's steward, not self-willed, not quick-tempered, not addicted to wine, not pugnacious, not fond of sordid gain..."

The Holy Spirit often brings to my mind songs I learned as a little boy in Sunday School.  Sometimes they reassure me and other times they rebuke me.  One such song starts out like this, "Oh, be careful little hands what you do...for the Father up above is looking down in love..."  It goes on to remind me to "be careful little eyes what you see, be careful little ears what you hear, be careful little mouth what you say, be careful little feet where you go."

Paul's words to Titus are directed at Christian leaders, but they apply to each of us as well.  Twice in a few verses he says we should be "above reproach".  Our lives should be of such quality that there is no basis for accusation of wrongdoing.

How can I do it?  For me, the key is in that simple children's song..."for the Father up above is looking down in love..."  The Father is ever present; His Holy Spirit is within me.  There is nothing I can see or say, nothing I can do, nowhere I can go that is  beyond His observation   It is the awareness of His presence that keeps me "in line".

Lord, as I begin this day, I acknowledge my inability to live above reproach; I am inclined to stumble.  Thank You for Your presence around me and within me.  Please guide me, restrain me from thoughtless words or actions, remind me that You are near.  I want to represent You well today.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment