Monday, March 25, 2013

Don't get too comfortable...

Ephesians 4:14 "As a result, we are no longer to be children, tossed here and there by waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, by craftiness in deceitful scheming..."

Ephesians 6:11 "Put on the full armor of God, so that you will be able to stand firm against the schemes of the devil."

Ephesians 6:13 "Therefore, take up the full armor of God, so that you will be able to resist in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm."

Ephesians 6:14 "Stand firm therefore, HAVING GIRDED YOUR LOINS WITH TRUTH, and HAVING PUT ON THE BREASTPLATE OF RIGHTEOUSNESS..."

I love the ocean.  The pungent smell of the salt air, the cool freshness of the sea breeze, the thunder of crashing waves, the shock of cold water against warm skin when I first dive in...  it refreshes and rejuvenates me.  It can also catch me off-guard and unnerve me.

I have learned to respect the ocean.  One time was enough to determine never  to turn my back to the sea .  I was standing knee deep in the water, just north of the Seal Beach pier.  Facing the beach, I was trying to coax my young daughter to join me when, from out of nowhere, a large wave crashed over me and knocked me off my feet.  Each time I tried to regain my footing, another wave toppled me.  I ended up crawling to safety on my hands and knees.  How humiliating!

It's something like that in my spiritual life.  Although everything may seem tranquil and copacetic, I need to be alert and ready for "sneak attacks" from the Enemy.   It is easy to settle into a "safe" routine, to forget that I am engaged in a spiritual conflict, to turn my back on Satan and his schemes.  Then, just when I become comfortable and let down my guard, he launches an attack and I'm knocked off balance.  The only way to safety is on my knees.

Dear Lord, thank You for reminding me that, no matter how calm and safe things may appear, Satan is always scheming,looking for a chink in my armor, ready to launch a surprise attack, trying to trip me up.  Please help me not to become too comfortable,.  Keep me alert today.  I want to stand firm in Your strength.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment