Tuesday, March 6, 2012

An unlikely equation..

2 Corinthians 8:2 "In the midst of a very severe trial, their overflowing joy and extreme poverty welled up in super-abundant generosity."

As an Algebra teacher, I like things to balance out.  I love working equations.  I like the "equals" sign.  I tend to view my life in terms of equations, trying to maintain equilibrium.

Here's an equation that doesn't seem to make sense: Severe trial + extreme poverty = super-abundant generosity.   How can God expect me to be generous, or even be sensitive of others' needs, when I am in deep financial trouble?  It doesn't balance.  Oops!  I forgot one important factor in the equation!  Joy.  The equation should read like this: Severe trial + extreme poverty + overflowing joy = super-abundant generosity.

Wait a minute.  How do you get overflowing joy in the midst of severe trial and extreme poverty?  The Macedonian Christians found the answer.  "They first gave themselves to God..." (v. 6)

Generosity doesn't begin with, or depend upon, how much I have.  It depends upon my faith in the Provider.  Trusting in Him for my provision allows me to be sensitive to the Holy Spirit's leading.  It also loosens my grip on "my" possessions.  If what I possess belongs to God, then how He chooses to use it is up to Him.  That attitude produces joy and the freedom to give liberally, even beyond what I think I am able to give.

Lord, thank You for providing for my every need (and many of my"wants", as well).  Please guide me today in using what You have entrusted to me.



No comments:

Post a Comment