Monday, April 16, 2012

"Keeping my feet clean..."


John 13:10 Jesus said to him, "He who has bathed needs only to wash his feet, but is completely clean; and you are clean, but not all of you."

"Take off those dirty shoes before you come into the house!" That oft-repeated admonition from my childhood still rings in my ears.  If it were summertime, because I rarely wore shoes, the verbiage changed slightly to, "You'd better clean those feet..."  No matter how hard I tried, when playing outside with my neighborhood friends, I just couldn't keep my feet clean.

I find that to be true in my spiritual life as well.  Try as I might to avoid sin, I inevitably find myself with "dirty feet" at the end of the day. As I look back over the day, the Holy Spirit does a good job of revealing where I fell short of my Father's expectations. Thank God that He has made provision for me to get clean again!

1 John 1:9 says, "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.".  It is easy for me to walk around oblivious to my dirty feet. I'm so thankful that, just like my mom did, the Holy Spirit says to me, "clean your feet before you come into the House!"

No comments:

Post a Comment