Monday, April 30, 2012

Up and Down...

James 4:14 "...you do not know what your life will be like tomorrow.  You are just a vapor that appears for a little while and then vanishes away."

I love to ride my motorcycle.  It's a 1998 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic 1500 - a big "Harley-like" cruiser, and I've been riding it on my daily 10 mile commute to school for the past few years. No mishaps, that is until a couple of weeks ago.  On my way home, a little car and I went for the same spot at the same time, he nicked my handlebar, and I suddenly found myself bouncing on the pavement.  One second I was upright and enjoying life; a second later I was on the ground and not having quite so much fun. 

I'm amazed at how abruptly life can change. I think my guardian angel must be in line, asking to be reassigned.  He certainly worked overtime protecting me.  What could have been really serious resulted only in broken ribs and a collapsed lung.  Even my motorcycle sustained only minor damage - a few scrapes and a broken windshield.

I also love how, with every mishap, God provides opportunity for ministry.  He surrounded me with people in the hospital whom He wanted to touch and He directed our conversations quite naturally to spiritual topics.  God is the redeemer, not only of our souls, but of every situation!

Another benefit for me was the outpouring of love and concern from so many people.  I especially love the cards my students made for me.  I was able to call the school and thank them via "speakerphone".  One of our 1st graders whispered to his teacher, "I think he's better because he read my card."

God is so good to us.  I am thankful for the "wake-up calls" that remind me to treasure each breath, each moment, each relationship.


No comments:

Post a Comment