Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Guard Duty...


John 19:9  "...but Jesus gave him no answer."

Jesus was standing before Pilate.  Pilate was terrified of Jesus and was trying to get Him to answer his questions.  Jesus, Creator of the Universe, Omnipotent God, had every right to open His mouth and let him have it.  But He kept silent.  What self control!  Jesus knew Who He was and what He had to do; that was His focus and I believe it helped Him restrain His words.

I am a verbal person.  I work things out by discussing them.  I sometimes speak before thinking about the impact of my words,  and I have often found myself wishing that I could stuff them back into my mouth. That's about as futile as squeezing toothpaste back into the tube!

A wiser person than I once told me, "God gave you two ears and one mouth, so you should listen twice as much as you speak."  When I heed that advice, I tend to stay out of trouble.  When I don't, I usually regret it. 

I have memorized two verses of Scripture that have helped me to hold my tongue.  I pray them daily, asking for the Holy Spirit to guide my speech. 

Proverbs 10:19 "Where there are many words, transgression is unavoidable, but he who restrains his lips is wise."

Psalm 141:3 "Set a guard, O Lord, over my mouth; keep watch over the door of my lips."

Holy Spirit, thank You for Your faithfulness in standing guard over my mouth.  I will try not to keep You too busy today! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment