Monday, May 14, 2012

Joy...


John 15:11 “These things I have told you so that My joy may abide in you and that your joy might be full.”

I saw joy on Saturday.  Not happiness.  Joy.  Joy in the midst of tears, sadness, separation.  Hundreds of us gathered to remember our friend Trevor and to celebrate his life.  We laughed, cried, prayed, sang, worshiped.  We were immersed in the joy that transcends all other emotions.  

Unlike happiness, joy is independent of circumstances.  It flourishes in times of grief; it is the radiant, brilliant lining of the darkest cloud.  It is a gift from God, produced by His Holy Spirit.  It stems from a deep, settled, peaceful understanding that we are “right” with Him and that He is in control and knows what is best.

I saw joy in the countenance of Trevor’s family.  It was there, clothed in faith and hope.  It is joy that will carry them (and us) through the difficult days ahead.  It is joy that will keep us from being overwhelmed by the waves of grief that will most certainly wash over us as we deal with the separation of death.  It is joy that will keep our focus on Jesus and the certainty of the blessed reunion we will experience when He comes to take us Home.

Joy.  I don’t understand it, but I thank God for it.  I rest in it, rejoice in it, abide in it.

Thank you, Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment