Friday, December 14, 2012

Getting to know You...

Ephesians 1:17    "I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better."

Often times when I look at my wife, I remember our college days.  We had met as teenagers and were friends throughout high school, but something changed during our sophomore year in college.  I found myself thinking more about her than my studies.  All I wanted was to be with her, to get to know her better.  You would think that, after 46 years of marriage, those feelings would diminish.  Not so.  If anything, they have intensified.  I think of her throughout the day, can't wait to get home to her, and, surprisingly, I am still getting to know her.

It's like that in our relationship with God. That's what Paul prayed for the Christians in Ephesus.  The Holy Spirit draws us to Him and, after we have entered into a relationship with Him, He begins the process of revealing Himself to us.  I find that the longer I know Him, the more I want to spend time with Him and get to know Him better.

But wait!  This is the Holy God of All Creation we're talking about!  How can I expect to know and understand Him?!  It's really not that complicated.  In my relationship with  my wife, I can only know what she chooses to reveal.  So it is with God.   Fortunately, God wants to reveal Himself to us, and His Spirit in us makes it possible.  He gives us wisdom and revelation for that very purpose!

Dear Lord, I have been your child for many years, but I feel like I am still just getting to know You.  Please reveal more of Yourself to me today.  Holy Spirit, help me to keep my eyes and ears open so I don't miss anything.  Father, I want to know You more!  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment