Tuesday, December 4, 2012

I've been adopted by someone really important!...


Ephesians 1:5-6  "He predestined us to adoption as sons through Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the kind intention of His will, to the praise of the glory of His grace, which He freely bestowed on us in the Beloved."

 One of my favorite stories about adoption is that of Pippi Longstocking.  She was a precocious little orphan girl with flaming red hair, a quick temper, and a penchant for getting herself into "fixes".    A spinster and her unmarried brother decided to adopt a boy to help on the farm and, through a series of mishaps, ended up with Pippi instead.


Like Pippi, we too have been adopted.  Unlike Pippi,  the motive wasn't to get more help, and it didn't happen by chance.  God  knew us before we were born and He picked us out to be his children.   Like Pippi, we also have a knack for getting into trouble.  In spite of that, He loved us and wanted us to be part of His family.

Adoption, in Scripture, is spoken of both as something that was decided before the world was created (Eph 1: 2-3) as well as something yet to be fulfilled (Rom8:23).  According to Paul,  God predestined us to adoption, we received the spirit of adoption when we received Christ, and we are eagerly anticipating the adoption that will occur (our new eternal bodies) when Jesus returns.

As a little boy, I used to brag to the other kids about my dad.  I thought there was no one as important as him.  As I grew up, he pointed me to someone infinitely greater than he was.  He introduced me to my Heavenly Father and now I have the unbelievable joy of knowing the God of all creation as "Daddy"!

Thank You, Father, for picking me out to be your child.  Thank You for giving me an earthly mom and dad who loved me enough to introduce me to You.  Lord, please keep me alert to others who need to become part of Your family.  I'd love to help them get to know You.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment