Thursday, December 20, 2012

The gift that keeps on giving...

Ephesians 2:8   "For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God;"

Christmas.  Inherent in that word is the concept of giving.  You can't escape it.  Turn on the TV, check your email, open the newspaper and you are inundated with gift ideas, both for yourself and for those you love.  Unfortunately, as I look and listen, the focus is often more on receiving the perfect gift than giving it.

What is the life expectancy of most Christmas gifts?  Regardless of the price, the size, or the quality of the present, it will sooner or later break, wear out, be re-gifted or discarded.

There is, however, one perfect Gift - one that is always fresh and new, one that keeps giving and giving.  I'm talking about the the Gift from our Heavenly Father.  Because He knows us intimately, He knows what we desperately need and deeply desire.  He also knows that we can't afford it; we are totally incapable of acquiring it by our own means; and we certainly don't deserve it.

You and I were on the "naughty list", but because God loves us so much, He erased our names and re-wrote them on the "nice list"!  That is His gift to us.  It's one of those gifts that, when you unwrap it, there's another gift inside.  I unwrap "forgiveness" and I find "salvation".  I unwrap it and I discover a plethora of "spiritual gifts" that take me a lifetime to fully understand and use.  I unwrap them and I find a place in Heaven with Jesus, a place reserved just for me!

How do you write a thank you note for a Christmas gift like that?!

Lord,  saying "Thank You" just isn't adequate to express my gratitude for such an extravagant gift as You have given me.  You know my heart.  You know I love You.  Please help me today to show You my thanks  by "re-gifting" Your love, grace, and mercy to someone You bring across my path.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment