Monday, December 31, 2012

Uniquely crafted by His hands....for a purpose!

Ephesians 2:10  "For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them."

Nothing relaxes me more than the smell of sawdust.  It floods my mind with happy memories of time spent in the garage with my dad.  From the time I was a little boy I would watch, and often help, him design and fashion something from wood.  He taught me to use and care for his woodworking tools, and he instilled in me a love for carpentry.

Now I work mostly with people and, in so doing, I never see a finished product.  They're always a work in progress.  That's another reason I like to build things.  I design a piece of furniture or a cabinet, draw up the plans, purchase the materials, and build it.  Then I stand back and say with satisfaction, "There, it's done!"  That feels good.  It brings me pleasure.

I think that it might have been something like that for Jesus, too.  Remember his occupation?  He was a carpenter.  He was also THE CARPENTER!  Paul tells us that each of us is a uniquely designed work of His hands.  He designed us and fashioned us into something that brought Him pleasure and satisfaction.

But... He didn't make us to be a decoration, something hung on a wall or set on a shelf to be admired.  He created us to be functional!   Intrinsic in His design was an action plan.  He made us to be useful, to act on His behalf, to be His mouth, hands, feet... to represent Him to the world and draw others to Himself.

When am I truly the happiest, full of joy and satisfaction?  It's when I am doing what He created me to do.  It's when I am loving/caring for my wife, when I'm nurturing my children (and grandchildren and great-grandchildren), when I am teaching His Word or mentoring a younger believer.

Lord, I am in awe  of Your creative love.   I am humbled in the knowledge that the same God who fashioned the universe also designed and created me.  I can't get my mind around that!  Lord, please help me today to walk in the path You have set before me and let me feel the warmth of Your pleasure.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment