Monday, February 25, 2013

Walk this way...

Ephesians 5:2  "...and walk in love, just as Christ also loved you and gave Himself up for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God as a fragrant aroma."

I chuckle whenever I hear the phrase, "Walk this way."  It takes me back to family outings with my wife's parents.  We would be  heading toward our destination and my father-in-law would utter that phrase. Thinking he wanted us to follow him, I would look up to see him mimicking Charlie Chaplin's penguin-like gait.  What followed was a comical parade of three laughing adults and two young children following suit.

Twice in Ephesians 5 Paul describes how we should walk.  The tense of the verb in both cases is important; each time it is "present active", which indicates continued action, ie. a way of life.  The person we are to continually follow is none other than Jesus.  The "gait" we are to mimic is His selfless love.  Unlike our family parade, following our Savior's example is no laughing matter.  It's hard work.

In most cases He doesn't ask us to give up our physical lives, although that possible scenario lurks in the back of my mind.  Most times it entails "dying to self", like Paul described in Galatians 2:20... "I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me."

Living out Christ's selfless love in my day-to-day encounters doesn't come naturally.  As a matter of fact, it is not possible without the always accessible Holy Spirit who lives inside me. It is He who arranges the "Divine appointments" (otherwise known as interruptions) and prompts my prayers for those I meet.  It is He who enables me to respond in love rather than react in anger or frustration.  It  is He who keeps my self-centeredness and pride in check.  Usually.

Dear Lord, thank You, not only for giving me an Example to follow, but also the Power to follow through. Please help me to be sensitive to Your Spirit's leading and responsive to His "nudge".  I want to walk like You today.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment