Monday, February 4, 2013

Following the recipe...

Ephesians 4:7  "But to each one of us grace was given according to the measure of Christ's gift."

I like to dabble in cooking, though I'll never be described as a good cook.  One thing I have learned is that I need to carefully follow the recipe, using measuring cups and measuring spoons to add the precise amount of the ingredients called for.  I haven't yet ascended to the point of adding "a pinch of this or that".

Every ingredient has a purpose.  Each contributes to the taste, texture, composition of the finished product.  If one ingredient is omitted or its measure is insufficient, the end result won't be what was intended.

Paul says that Christ has given each of us a "grace gift"; each of us is an "ingredient" in His recipe for the church.  Paul was graced with the gift of apostleship, specifically as "an apostle to the Gentiles."  He often uses the phrase, "according to the grace given to me..."  in his letters.

Not only has Christ given every Christian a specific function, He has also determined the measure of our gifts.  If the finished product it to turn out as He expects, it is essential that we contribute the full amount called for.  We can't skimp or the end result won't taste like it is supposed to.

I have come to understand what my function is in the recipe and, although He hasn't told me what the precise measure of my gift is, I know I don't always contribute the full amount.

Dear Lord, thank You for including me in Your recipe.  Sometimes I don't feel like I'm a necessary ingredient and sometimes I don't feel like pouring in my whole measure.  I'm so grateful that you are a wise and gracious and patient Cook!  Please help me to follow Your recipe carefully today.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment