Wednesday, February 27, 2013

I don't get it!

Ephesians 5:17  "So then do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is."

I was teaching Algebra to 8th graders, explaining how to factor quadratic equations.  Most of the students caught on pretty quickly, but two or three just couldn't grasp the concept.   I used every example and approach I could think of, but the more I tried, the more confused they became.  It was frustrating for both of us and we finally decided to give it a rest and get a fresh start the next day.

As I read the Gospels, Jesus and the disciples walked through the same scenario, not just once, but over and over.  The subject wasn't mathematics.  It was life.  Often the writer reported, "...but the disciples didn't understand", but occasionally we see the phrase, "Then they understood..."  I think the teacher in Jesus was jumping up and down with joy when that happened!

Far too often I find myself in the shoes of the disciples.  There are puzzle pieces scattered in my mind and no matter how hard I try, I can't get them to fit together.  I know I'm not alone in this dilemma.   Trying to discern God's will is among the top five concerns I encounter in pastoral counseling

So, what's the key?  It must be possible to understand God's will or the Holy Spirit wouldn't have commanded it.   Unlike Algebra, there is no simple formula to memorize, no logical sequence of steps to follow.  There are, however, guidelines, principles that will assist in the process.

When trying to discern God's will in a particular situation, I ask myself the following questions:
1. What does the Bible say?  Is there a definite statement, a direct command, a Biblical principle that applies to my decision? (Psalm 119:105; Joshua 1:8)
2. Have I asked God for wisdom? (James 1:5-7)
3. Have I sought Godly counsel? (Proverbs 1:5)
4. Am I really listening, or am I doing all the talking? (Proverbs 23:19)
5. Do I have peace in my heart? (Colossians 3:15)

The bottom line for me is to trust that God has the answer and that He will give me the direction I need when I need it.  He doesn't promise to reveal every detail ahead of time, but He will point me in the right direction and guide my steps. (Proverbs 3:5-6)

Dear Lord, I love what You say  in Luke 24:45 ..."Then He opened their minds to understand the Scriptures..."  Holy Spirit, there are so many unanswered questions floating around in my head, so many puzzle pieces anxiously waiting to be assembled.   Please open my mind, give me clear direction and strengthen my resolve to follow where You lead.  I trust You even when I don't "get it."  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment