Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Watch your step!

Ephesians 5:15  "Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, making the most of your time, because the days are evil."

I love to hike and, although I haven't done it for a while, I really enjoy back-packing.  I remember my favorite trip as though it were yesterday.   It was the last week of June several years back.  A few close friends and I hiked out of Lake Mary (Mammoth Lakes), made our way past several high sierra lakes, huffed and puffed our way over Duck Pass, and spent a week "roughing it" at Purple Lake.  Having that pristine little lake all to ourselves, we fished and explored all day long, and enjoyed fresh trout cooked over an open fire each evening.

The week of camping was relaxing, but the hike to the lake was an adventure!  Getting across Duck Pass (10,797 ft. elevation) in the spring presented  a bit of a challenge.  Although the weather was warming up, at one point the trail traversed a glacier-like section of frozen snow and we had to plan each step carefully and execute it with precision.  A misstep would not have had pleasant results!

For me, life often resembles that "walk" across Duck Pass.  It's not a casual stroll, and if I don't watch my step, I can go from "up" to "down" in an instant.  Paul tells us to walk wisely, "circumspectly" (KJV), looking carefully before stepping out.  Why?  Because we live in a dark, hostile culture that is watching us and waiting for us to misstep.  It's not easy, but as we daily demonstrate a genuine walk of faith, the light of God's Truth will shine through us, exposing and dispelling the darkness.

Dear Lord, please walk with me today.  Help me not to be careless with my words or actions.  I want to make the most of this day.  I want to make a difference.  Thank You for illuminating the path.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment