Monday, February 11, 2013

Whose job is it?

Ephesians 4:11 - 13. "And He gave some as apostles, and some as prophets, and some as evangelists, and some as pastors and teachers, for the equipping of the saints for the work of service, to the building up of the body of Christ; until we all attain to the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a mature man, to the measure of the stature which belongs to the fullness of Christ."

I remember the day in 1968.    I was 23 years old; my wife and I had just graduated from Bible college.  She and I (along with our 2 month old son) were just beginning our ministry at a small church in Carson, California.  As I sat in my tiny office that first Monday morning, I prayed, "Okay, Lord.  Here I am.  I'm a senior pastor.  What do I do now?  Help!!!"

Actually, I was aware of the basic tasks.  I had an informal, unwritten job description.  I knew that each week I had to prepare two sermons for Sunday and a Bible study for Wednesday night.  I was to visit the sick, perform weddings and funerals,  counsel those with problems, and lead people to Christ.   I knew I was expected to somehow make this church grow.

What I didn't have was a strategy.  I didn't know God's "game plan".   I was trapped in the traditional thinking that it was up to the pastor to do the "work of the ministry."  Trying to do it all nearly burned me out. Fortunately, God gradually began teaching me the principle Paul laid out in Ephesians 4:  It wasn't my job to do the work; it was my job to equip others to do the work!

The Holy Spirit has gifted each of us for a unique role in the body of Christ and He has given us gifted leaders to help us discover, develop and use those gifts.  As I embraced that process, I saw people begin to grow individually and the church begin to function as she ought.  There was a joy and excitement that was contagious.

Lord, thank You for Your wonderful plan for Your church.  I am blessed to be involved in a church that is committed to function as You desire.  Please bless our pastors today.   Give them fresh vision and energy.  Help us to encourage them and to enthusiastically join them in doing the work of the ministry.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment