Monday, March 4, 2013

Under whose influence?

Ephesians 5:18  "And do not get drunk with wine, for that is dissipation, but be filled with the Spirit..."

I chuckle whenever I think about Peter's response to his mockers on the Day of Pentecost.  The Holy Spirit had "fallen" on the Believers and they were speaking in foreign languages unknown to them.  Can you imagine the cacophony!!  Some who witnessed this phenomenon wryly observed that they must be inebriated, at which Peter exclaimed, "It's only 9:00 a.m. - It's too early for them to be drunk."

Although they were clueless as to the cause, those who saw and heard the disciples that Pentecost Sunday morning knew they "weren't themselves".  They were obviously "under the influence"!  But under the influence of what? The Believers' behavior and the crowd's natural curiosity set the stage for Peter's soul-stirring sermon and the subsequent conversion of more than 3,000 Jews!  And that was just the beginning!!

From this first example of Spirit-filled Believers and subsequent imperatives such as the one in Ephesians 5, we can extract this principle: That which fills us controls us, and it is apparent that we play an active role in the process.  We determine what it is that will fill us.  Paul's command has to do with alcohol, but it can be extrapolated to include the entire set of this world's values and behaviors.

I fill myself, not just by way of my mouth, but also by what I choose to watch or read, by that to which I choose to listen, and by those with whom I choose to associate.  I have the power to decide where my appetite will take me, and that decision will determine my attitude, language, and actions.  It will also impact those who observe me.  Will they be attracted,to or repulsed by, the gospel they see in me?

Dear Lord,  You know my natural inclination toward whetting my appetite with the values and things of this world.  You also know that my heart's desire is to be under the control of the Holy Spirit.  Please curb my natural appetite today; turn my attention to You.  Please fill me and control me.  Let those who see me, see You.  I desperately want to live under Your influence.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment