Thursday, March 21, 2013

Armored-up and heading out...

Ephesians 6:10. "Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of His might."

Ephesians 1:18-20  "I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened, so that you will know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints, and what is the surpassing greatness of His power toward us who believe. These are in accordance with the working of the strength of His might which He brought about in Christ, when He raised Him from the dead and seated Him at His right hand in the heavenly places..."

I remember well  my first bout with colon cancer.  When I think about it, I can still taste the metallic, chemical  flavor rising in the back of my throat as I sensed the cool rush of the poison (chemo) pulsing through the vein in my arm.

I also recall vividly the reality of doing battle with cancer.  I was determined not to be a passive victim letting the nurse perform weekly chemotherapy on me.  On the contrary, I was "armored-up" and, as she injected the chemical into my body, I was already in prayer, releasing the power of the Holy Spirit to seek and destroy the enemy cells.  I  was at war and I was determined to prevail!  That was nearly 28 years ago.  God won.

One of the positive outcomes of that  year-and-a-half conflict was the realization that it is only by relying on and appropriating God's "resurrection power" that I have hope of living victoriously. I know that I am incapable in my own strength of consistently living as He intends.

We engage the enemy every day.  My war with cancer taught me to focus on the essentials of my Christian walk... Prayer, faith, the Word, fellowship (not necessarily in that order).  I need to understand the power, the arsenal of weapons at my disposal, and learn how to use them.  That insight comes from consistently spending time in His Word. I must sincerely talk to God about it, asking Him to clothe me, endue me with His strength, and I must maintain communication with Him throughout the day.  I have to trust Him to do what He says He will do.  I need the camaraderie with my fellow soldiers.

Lord, I don't know  where or how the Enemy is planning to attack today, but I am "armored-up" and ready to head out.  Please help me to keep my "radio" on,  my eyes open, my senses alert, and my weapons ready.  I will follow Your lead and trust Your Word.  I know that You have already won The War.  Please help me to emerge victorious in today's skirmishes.  Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment