Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Same shoe, other foot...

Ephesians 6:9  "And masters, do the same things to them, and give up threatening, knowing that both their Master and yours is in heaven, and there is no partiality with Him."

Matthew 20:28 "... just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many."

It was in June of 1992.  I was in a lecture hall in Moscow, standing before a group of 150 state school directors.  My "lectern" was a pedestal that once held a bust of Stalin, and I was trying to help them understand the concept of "servant leadership".  What an incredulous scene!  Here I was, a Christian school leader, encouraging atheistic heads of school to model their leadership style after that of Jesus!  It was a concept so foreign to their thinking that many of them went away shaking their heads in bewilderment.  It just didn't make sense to them.

Here I sit, 21 years later, pondering that same concept.  My teacher, the Holy Spirit, is telling me that my attitude towards those under my authority is to be the same as theirs toward me.  Same shoe, other foot. And like those Russian educators, it confuses me.  How do I exercise authority while, at the same time, being submissive?

Jesus didn't just answer my question with words.  He demonstrated it with His life.  Philippians 2:6-7 says, "...He did not count equality with God something to be clung to, but He emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant..."   That's servant leadership!  Paul says I am to model my life after that of Jesus, and it should be characterized by:
        - servant attitude - mutual submission
        - whole-hearted - not just lip service
        - respectful - as to The Lord
        - sincere - no hidden agenda
         - directed by The Lord - accountable to Him

Dear Lord, I'm still trying to figure this out.  I see You, The Lord of all creation, on Your knees as You wash Your disciples' feet.  I hear You, The Lord of my life, speaking softly in my spirit, "How may I serve you?"  Lord, please help me, not only to grasp this concept, but to demonstrate it today.  I want to be more like You!  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment