Friday, March 15, 2013

Do-Overs and Mulligans..

Ephesians 6:4   "Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord."

2 Timothy 3:16-17. "All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work."

"Do-Over"...."Mulligan".... Two of my favorite words.  Whether I'm  shooting hoops or driving a golf ball, I love it when I'm given another chance to get it right!

I was reflecting on these verses this morning and found myself wishing I could go back to when my children were young.  I'd like for God to offer me a "mulligan", a chance to re-do some of the things I did wrong in raising them.  Maybe, knowing what I do now, I would get it right.  Maybe.

I remember, as a young father, wishing that babies came with instruction manuals, or at least a comprehensive list of FAQs and a link to the "Help Desk".  That wish intensified as our children entered their teen years.  I felt so inadequate, like I was groping in the dark for the light switch, bumping into furniture, making a mess of things.

Now, years later, I don't think I'm any smarter, but, having been seasoned by age and experience,  I see things a little more clearly.  What would I do differently?  First, I would pray more fervently for knowledge, wisdom, and discernment. .. knowing what to do, how to do it, and when to do it.  Second, I would listen more and talk less.  It would have helped me to know and understand my teenagers better.  Third, I would use God's Word more as a tool than as a weapon.  Too often the verses came out as justification for saying, "No" to their requests or as the basis for punishing them when they misstepped.

If I could go back, I would live God's truth more consistently and share it with my children more naturally.  I keep thinking of Moses' words in Deuteronomy 6, where he challenged the Israelite dads, "These words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up.  You shall bind them as a sign on your hand and they shall be as frontals on your forehead.  You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates."

Dear Lord, I am so thankful that Joan and I were not alone in raising our children.  You were right there with us.  You used our sincere intentions and best efforts, seasoned them with your grace and mercy, and developed our children into two wonderful adults of whom we are so proud.  Thank You for giving us the opportunity for a "do-over" with our grandchildren and great-grandchildren.  Maybe we can get it right this time!  Maybe.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment