Thursday, March 7, 2013

Becoming a "Gratidude"

Ephesians 5:18, 20  "...but be filled with the Spirit...always giving thanks for all things in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to God, the Father..."

It was a Thanksgiving chapel.  We were just two days away from a week off school.  Visions of turkey and stuffing and pumpkin pie swirled in my head.  I was sharing with the students God's perspective on being grateful, the bottom line being that thanksgiving involves much  more than merely mouthing the words, "Thank you."  Rather, it is a heart-felt attitude.  The concept could be summed up as follows, "An attitude of gratitude makes you a Gratidude."

That was an easy lesson to teach, but a difficult one to learn.   Paul's words trouble me.  I would have preferred him to say, "usually giving thanks for most things..."  I might be able to handle that.  But to "always give thanks for all things"... that's impossible!  How can I sincerely thank God for pain and suffering?  How can a person truly be grateful for financial ruin?  How can one praise Him for broken relationships?

The answer to those questions: I can't.  It is impossible for me to conjure up a grateful heart.  But that's not the final word.  Paul says that, just like worship, an attitude of thanksgiving is the product of being filled with the Holy Spirit.  As He controls me, I begin to view things differently.  The Spirit allows me to peer through God's lens, to see from His perspective.  God's lens is a lens of faith.  The more I desire, allow, invite the Holy Spirit to invade my heart and control my steps, the more I learn to trust Him.  And as my trust grows,  there is a proportionate increase in thanksgiving.  To my surprise, I find myself becoming a Gratidude!

Lord, thank You for the Holy Spirit, Who relentlessly moves me to trust You and, in so doing, is developing in me a grateful heart.  Please help me to see through Your lens of faith today.  I want to look beyond the obvious and see You at work.  I can't wait!  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment